Care & Cleaning Tips for Company C Furniture
Just like a fine article of clothing, upholstered furniture needs proper cleaning and care on a regular basis. For maximum comfort and long-term enjoyment, we recommend the following:
- Frequent vacuuming — Upholstered furniture should be vacuumed once a month to remove the dust and dirt which damage fabric fibers and cause premature wear.
- Clean spills immediately — Spills and accidents can permanently stain upholstery fabrics. Even a water spill can cause permanent damage to some fabrics if not cleaned up immediately. Be careful to follow the recommended cleaning procedures described on the label beneath the seat cushions.
- If possible, fluff pillows and rotate cushions — Our upholstered furniture is made to be soft and conform to the user's body with use. Often it will not return to its original shape after use unless the cushions and back pillows are plumped by hand. Be sure to hand fluff pillows and cushions to maintain their shape. This becomes more necessary as the upholstered furniture ages through repeated use.
- Cushions should be rotated once a week to distribute normal wear to both sides of the cushion.
- Avoid excessive exposure to natural light — Exposure to natural light can cause some fabrics and leathers to fade. Care should be taken to limit the amount of sunlight on any piece of furniture. Fading is not covered under product warranties.
- A note on leather care — Different leathers have different care characteristics. Refer to care label under seat cushions for proper care instructions of the leather you've selected.
Cleaning Codes and Cleaning Methods
- W — Spot clean this fabric with only the foam of a water-based cleaning agent to remove soil.
- S — Cleaning should be performed by a professional furniture cleaning service, using a solvent based cleaning agent.
- S-W — Spot clean this fabric with only the foam of a water-based cleaning agent or with a pure solvent in a well-ventilated room.
- X — Clean only by vacuuming or light brushing with a non-metallic stiff brush. DO NOT USE WATER OR SOLVENT BASED CLEANER.
In all cases, dry cleaning by a professional furniture cleaning service is recommended. To prevent overall soil, frequent vacuuming or light brushing to remove dust or grime is recommended. Please click here for complete information on our consumer protection warranty.
How to Care for Leather
The most important step you can take to protect your investment is to avoid direct sunlight and heating/cooling sources.
Leather is a natural product that is very durable and beautiful. My leather upholstery should be dusted occasionally with a lint-free cloth. Blot spills immediately with distilled water and a soft cotton cloth.
Furniture Care Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My furniture is in need of cleaning. How do I know which cleaning products are safe for my fabric?
A: We recommend you contact a professional upholstery cleaner to determine the accepted cleaning method. See above for explanations of the cleaning codes.
Q: I have been told not to expose my furniture to direct sunlight, why is this a problem?
A: Exposure to natural light can cause fabrics and leathers to fade. Care should be taken to limit the amount of light on any piece of furniture.
Q: What do I need to do to maintain my furniture to ensure it has a long life?
A: For maximum comfort and appearance over time, your upholstered furniture requires regular care. Please vacuum your furniture on a regular basis to remove the dust and dirt that can damage fabric fibers and cause premature wear. If you happen to spill something on your upholstered furniture, please clean all spills, including water spills, immediately. In addition, you will need to rotate your cushions and fluff your pillows on a regular basis.
Q: What do I need to do to keep my cushions and pillows properly maintained?
A: Our upholstered furniture is made to be soft and conform to the user's body with use. In order to return it to its original shape after use, the pillows and cushions will need to be fluffed and plumped by hand. Please be sure to rotate and flip your cushions on a regular basis in order to ensure normal wear to both sides of the cushion. In addition, be sure to vacuum your cushions and cushion deck regularly to remove dirt and dust which can damage fabric fibers and cause premature wear.
Q: How do I care for and clean leather?
A: When properly cared for, leather will maintain its beauty and appearance for many years. Each leather type has its own care and cleaning specifications. Please see the decking label under your cushion for proper cleaning instructions. Listed below are some general guidelines:
- Keep leather clean and vacuum often.
- Exposure to the sun will cause any material to fade.
- Keep your leather furniture away from radiators and other intense heat generators.
- If spills do occur, attend to them quickly, blotting the stain rather than wiping.
- Take extra care with sharp instruments and animal claws. Leather is much stronger than fabric, but can be punctured by force.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call or email us.
97 Storrs Street
Concord NH 03301